The artifact being generated is effectively a merge of several other
artifacts of the same type  - a WAR file. It's important to get the
ordering right as the overwriting precidence matters.

I was just thinking of needing an extra bit of user data, much like
the properties you could put on dependencies in M1 that controlled
things like whether the file got included in the manifest or not; a
'proper' ordering of all dependencies does sound harder (and maybe too
hard to be always right in all circumstances..)