It looks like we have some problems with the contents of manifests in
jar files.

According to Sun's documentation
(http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/jar/jar.html), there are
three basic formatting rules which are not always being enforced:

1) All text must be UTF-8

2) Lines are limited to 72 characters; longer lines must be continued

3) Sections are divided by blank lines

Where are these rules being violated?  The first rule can be violated by
any POM which is in a character set other than UTF-8.  The last two
rules can be violated by any POM value which spans multiple lines.  Both
of these are potential problems since a number of POM values go directly
into the manifest without sufficient checking.

Example:
The plugin I have been working on suddenly stopped working.  It stopped
when I added a two-line description to the POM.  I have been able to
determine that converting the second line of the description into a
proper manifest continuation line fixed the problem.  As it turns out,
the class loader was ignoring the jar; this created an error where the
name of the Mojo class was found but the class could not be loaded.

Workarounds for the present:
-- Any POM fields which end up in a jar manifest needs to be limited to
UTF-8 characters.

-- Multi-line values should be constructed so that all lines start with
a space character (not strictly required for the first line but it
doesn't hurt).