Ok, I have managed to come up with a workaround like so:

        <configuration>
<warSourceDirectory>${project.build.directory}/generated/ src/main/resources</warSourceDirectory>
        </configuration>

In other words I've told it to copy everything from under generated resources - that just happens to be the
xdoclet generated WEB-INF dir.

Hardcoding not ideal but no blocker - I'm happy.

- Ashley