>         <version>0.0.1-SNAPSHOT</version>
>     </parent>
>
>     <dependencies>
>         <dependency>
>             <groupId>y</groupId>
>             <artifactId>x-model</artifactId>
>         </dependency>
>     </dependencies>
>
> 1) Is there a way to minimize the number of times I need to specify the
> version "0.0.1-SNAPSHOT" of my multiproject?
> Ideally it should only use it on one spot: in the parent pom.xml
> In dependencyManagement I can lower it by using ${pom.version},
> but for referencing the parent pom this does not look like an option.
I prefer that each (sub-)project has its own versioning cycle.
Anyways this is a very common issue. If you have eclipse 3.1 all subprojects
(internal plugins, etc.) also have 3.1 as version.
However I do not know how to solve your Issue.

> 2) Why do I need to add my modules as dependencies in the first place?
> It would be nice if the parent pom is smart enough to add all it's
> modules as possible dependencies automatically.
Actually this was done in maven-1 and it sucked as I think!

1. you have to configure where to find your sub-projects anyways because
one does put them on toplevel, another one want to have a folder subprojects
where the subprojects resist, etc.
2. with maven-1 you do not have the ability to determine what subprojects exists
just from the pom.
3. with maven-1 you can not build your project (e.g. site) if you have a
subproject that is currently not compiling - maybe it is a subproject that has
just started and is not officially part of the project.

Regards
  Jörg