Here's what I finally settled on for my pom with Spring and Hibernate.

   <dependency>
     <groupId>springframework</groupId>
     <artifactId>spring</artifactId>
     <version>1.2.6</version>
   </dependency>
   <dependency>
     <groupId>springframework</groupId>
     <artifactId>spring-mock</artifactId>
     <version>1.2.6</version>
     <scope>test</scope>
   </dependency>
   <dependency>
     <groupId>org.hibernate</groupId>
     <artifactId>hibernate</artifactId>
     <version>3.1beta3</version>
     <exclusions>
       <exclusion>
         <artifactId>jta</artifactId>
         <groupId>javax.transaction</groupId>
       </exclusion>
     </exclusions>
   </dependency>
   <dependency>
     <artifactId>geronimo-spec-jta</artifactId>
     <groupId>geronimo-spec</groupId>
     <version>1.0.1B-rc4</version>
   </dependency>
   <dependency>
     <groupId>junit</groupId>
     <artifactId>junit</artifactId>
     <version>3.8.1</version>
     <scope>test</scope>
   </dependency>
   <dependency>
     <groupId>commons-dbcp</groupId>
     <artifactId>commons-dbcp</artifactId>
     <version>1.2</version>
     <scope>test</scope>
     <exclusions>
       <exclusion>
         <groupId>xml-apis</groupId>
         <artifactId>xml-apis</artifactId>
       </exclusion>
       <exclusion>
         <groupId>xerces</groupId>
         <artifactId>xerces</artifactId>
       </exclusion>
     </exclusions>
   </dependency>

I'm still using the springframework group id until the poms start telling me otherwise ;)

The biggest problem that I had came from not all the spring-* jars having everything in them that the all inclusive spring.jar package has.

Hope that helps.

Rich

cameron clarke wrote:
don't shoot I'm new to Maven ;-)

spring-mock is specified in spring-parent-1.2.5.pom but spring-mock.jar does
not get pulled down from http://repo1.maven.org/maven2  Is there a reason
why this jar/pom is missing?  I have written some tests that utilise
org.springframework.test.AbstractTransactionalDataSourceSpringContextTestsbut
are failing in the M2 world as NoClassDef can be found.

I installed it local via :
mvn install:install-file
-DgroupId=org.springframework-DartifactId=spring-mock -Dversion=
1.2.5 -Dfile=C:/spring-mock.jar -Dpackaging=jar -DgeneratePom=true

I checked the repository file system to see that it now exists but the test
still fails with the same error.  I noticed the pom file was not created
though ! instead a maven-metadata-local.xml was created.   So I manually
created spring-mock-1.2.5.pom as follows:

<project>
  <parent>
    <artifactId>spring-parent</artifactId>
    <groupId>org.springframework</groupId>
    <version>1.2.5</version>
  </parent>
  <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
  <artifactId>spring-mock</artifactId>
  <name>Spring Mock</name>
  <version>1.2.5</version>
  <distributionManagement>
    <status>deployed</status>
  </distributionManagement>
</project>

(I didn't worked out the dependencies ..yet)

but still my tests fail ..... :-(      ANY HELP GREATLY APPRECIATED

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: