Trust me, M2 is way more easy then M1 once you grabb the bases
concepts. I suggest you to look at M1 maybe just to get a basic grab
on those concepts, then switch to M2 for the technical part. The M2
getting started guide is a pretty good introduction and this mailing
list is a very good help in case you have problems. Plus, like other
have already pointed, a lot of docs is underway. My advice is don't be
affraid to go straight to Maven 2, it's worth it and so easy compare
to Ant and even Maven 1.

Alexandre Poitras
Québec, Canada