In my case it is maven-release-plugin of M2, I started to looking a m2
adapter to build a legacy gmake project last week.

It is a big surprise to me that I am hitting some trivial task with problem
that should have caught by someone else, unless
no one using CVS with m2  ;-)

but i do beleive both your and my problems should not surface if
maven-provider-cvs would ignore ? status :-)

BTW, does M1 scm plugin specify full or relative path of scm file on command
line?

I need to make a fix in cvs provider to convert absolute path to relative
path, wonder if it would break yours

see http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/SCM-128

-Dan