Sorry to top-reply, but I'd like to address the original question. Maven 2.0.1 and later should support OS-shell environment variable references from settings.xml and pom.xml using the following syntax:

If you would use "echo $HOME" in your shell script, you would use ${env.HOME} in your pom.xml to reference the same value.

Cheers,

John

Tom Joad wrote:
Hello,
I would like to know if it is possible to access unix or windows environment
variables
in settings.xml or pom.xml and how to do it.
regards,

Tom