This works for me, but a real plugin would be nicer:

In my pom.xml:

<plugin>
  <artifactId>maven-ejb-plugin</artifactId>
  <configuration>
    <archive>
      <manifest>
        <addClasspath>true</addClasspath>
      </manifest>
    </archive>
    <generateClient>true</generateClient>
    <clientExcludes>
        <clientExclude>**/persist/</clientExclude>
        <clientExclude>**/*Bean.class</clientExclude>
    </clientExcludes>
  </configuration>
</plugin>
<plugin>
  <executions>
   <execution>
    <id>deploycode</id>
    <phase>package</phase>
    <configuration>
     <tasks>
      <taskdef name="wasEjbDeploy"
       classname="com.ibm.websphere.ant.tasks.WsEjbDeploy"
       classpath="${was.home}/lib/wsanttasks.jar" />

      <wasEjbDeploy

inputJar="${project.build.directory}/${project.build.finalName}.jar"
       workingDirectory="${project.build.directory}/temp"

outputJar="${project.build.directory}/${project.build.finalName}.was5.jar"
       washome="${was.home}"
       trace="true"
       quiet="false" />

        <!-- generated jar replaces the original -->
        <move
file="${project.build.directory}/${project.build.finalName}.was5.jar"

tofile="${project.build.directory}/${project.build.finalName}.jar"/>

        <!-- add deploy code to the client jar -->
        <zip
destfile="${project.build.directory}/${project.build.finalName}-client.jar"
             update="true">
                <zipfileset
src="${project.build.directory}/${project.build.finalName}.jar">
                        <include name="org/omg/stub/"/>
                        <include name="com/ibm/"/>
                        <include name="**/_*.class"/>
                        <include name="**/EJS*.class"/>
                </zipfileset>
        </zip>
     </tasks>
    </configuration>
    <goals>
     <goal>run</goal>
    </goals>
   </execution>
  </executions>
</plugin>

and the was.home property is specified in a profile in settings.xml:

<properties>
  <was.home>C:/Program Files/IBM/WebSphere 5.0</was.home>
</properties>

Regards,
Marcel