The new dependency mechanism in m2 is really cool, but I'm totally stuck on
a picocontainer dependency.  We added XDoclet 2.0 to our project, which uses
pico.  The pico POM is invalid.  So I downloaded it and put it on our local
repository and fixed the invalid POM, and erased pico from my
.m2/repository.  But when I do a build, it still for some reason ends up
retrieving the invalid POM from ibiblio.  It doesn't use the POM from my
local repo.  As a result, I'm totally stuck as I can't recover pico.  I'm
forced to just add a reference to the JAR myself.

I assume there is a bug with Maven somewhere.  Even if the .pom at ibiblio
is invalid, it should still get the jar from my local repo that has a valid
.pom.  Well this is how I think it should work.  Can someone let me know if
this is in fact a bug, and if you think of any other way to get around it?
If it's a bug I'll open a JIRA issue but since I'm new to m2 I wanted to ask
about it here to make sure.  A search turned up one other person with the
same problem and the proposed solution was to use exclusions.  well I tried
that without success.  In fact now my pom.xml only has pico in it just to
see if I can get this working.  And I can't.

  <dependencies>
    <dependency>
      <groupId>picocontainer</groupId>
      <artifactId>picocontainer</artifactId>