You have to create a new workspace (and stop using the old workspace) in
a location that isn't a parent directory of where you created the
project directory:

"From now on you have different options to proceed. If you are working
on all modules simultanously and you rather have eclipse project
dependencies than binary dependencies, you should set up a new workspace
and import all projects form step-by-step/guide-ide-eclipse. Note, you
have to delete the .project-file of your parent project before. The
result is equals to checking out the whole project from the command
line, running mvn eclipse:eclipse and finally importing the projects
into your eclipse workspace. In both cases you will be able to
synchronize your changes using eclipse."

If you completed the initial steps in a workspace located in D:
\step-by-step, you should create a new workspace in a place that isn't
D:\step-by-step (e.g. D:\workspace-step-by-step) and import the modules
(guide-ide-eclipse-core, guide-ide-eclipse-site,
guide-ide-eclipse-module1, but not the project root) from D:
\step-by-step into the new workspace.

To import the modules, select File -> New -> Project... from the Eclipse
menu, choose Java Project, click Next, select Create project from
existing source, click Browse... and navigate into a module directory
(e.g. D:\step-by-step\guide-ide-eclipse\guide-ide-eclipse-core), click
OK, set the Project name to the module name (e.g.
guide-ide-eclipse-core) and click Finish.

You should end up with 3 projects in your new workspace:
guide-ide-eclipse-core
guide-ide-eclipse-site
guide-ide-eclipse-module1

You will also need to add the M2_REPO classpath variable to your new
workspace:
  mvn -Declipse.workspace=D:\workspace-step-by-step
eclipse:add-maven-repo

You may choose to flatten the project as described at the end of the
Guide. This handy so that you can edit the parent module in Eclipse. If
you do that, you'll have one more project in your workspace:
guide-ide-eclipse-project.

I know this is all quite annoying, but the cause of the annoyance
Eclipse's insistence that all projects are peers, rather than allowing a
true hierarchical project/module directory structure. I really wish
Eclipse did not have this limitation.

-Max