I have tried to get workspace dependencies working by executing eclipse:eclipse
from the root of the parent project but it does not seem to get the project
reference right.

When I view the Projects tab in Java Build Path properties in Eclipse, I see M2
has added generated a project reference to "myproject". The corresponding entry
in the .classpath file is thus:

<classpathentry kind="src" path="/myproject"/>

Manually adding the project dependency does indeed work. In that case the entry
in .classpath is thus:

<classpathentry combineaccessrules="false" kind="src" path="/MyProject"/>

Notice the differences:
(1) "/myproject" vs. "/MyProject", and
(2) There's an combineaccessrules attribute

The referenced project folder is named "MyProject" on disk. I experimented by
renaming the folder to "myproject" but found the M2 generated .classpath still
doesn't work.

I should probably note the artifactId of the referenced project is "myproject".
M2 generates this entry in .project reflecting this:

<projects>
  <project>myproject</project>
</projects>

Any ideas on why project references are not working for me?