Hi,

As some of you might know, we are still working on a Maven 1.1 release,
which is unfortunately quite behind schedule. The advance of Maven 2
has dragged away a lot of attention and we are currently only three people
actively developing and maintaining the Maven 1 core and 65 plugins.

It has become evident that there are a number of plugins present in the
current Maven core distribution, that are now unmaintained and either
out of date, non-functional, or too poorly documented to be useful.

In an effort to advance on our release schedule towards a stable Maven
1.1-final, the Maven developers have voted to remove the following plugins
from the next release (maven-1.1-beta-3):

[] repository - the create-upload-bundle goal will be moved to the artifact plugin
[] release - has been deprecated for a while, replaced by scm plugin
[] j2ee - not functional
[] abbot - unmaintained
[] castor - unmaintained, not working
[] hibernate - unmaintained
[] jboss - unmaintained, can be replaced by cargo plugin
[] jbuilder - unmaintained, not on the same level as other IDE plugins
[] jcoverage - replaced by Cobertura
[] jetty - unmaintained, can be replaced by cargo plugin
[] jnlp - unmaintained
[] uberjar - not working, can be replaced by javaapp plugin

Please note:

- All these plugins will still be available using plugin:download to get
  the version available in Maven 1.0.2.
- The source code will be available in the sandbox.
- If anyone is willing to step up and maintain any of these plugins,
  they can offer to look after it, and take it to the sourceforge project.

This notice is meant to inform the Maven users community about these upcoming
changes. Please let us know if you have any concerns or relevant remarks
concerning these steps.

Thanks,
Lukas