I've created an archetype, and it works fine if I build and install it
locally, but I can't figure out how to tell people to get it from the
snapshot repository.

Here it is:

http://cvs.apache.org/maven-snapshot-repository/struts/struts-archetype-shale-blank/

Thinking that it might help, I added the repository and
pluginRepository to settings.xml as described here:
   http://mojo.codehaus.org/using-sandbox-plugins.html
(I also added <pluginGroup> 'struts'.)

But 'mvn archetype:create' still says "Unable to download the artifact
from any repository".  It's only checking 'central'.

What do I type to get my archetype into a local repository, so that
'mvn archetype:create ...' will work?

Thanks,
Wendy