Thanks for this - unfortunately even with this setting I am still having the
same problem it appears to be some interaction between the libraries JAXB2
and Surefire is using that even happens when forking is occuring.

I have checked (with -X) and I am definitely running Surefire 1.5.2 which is
the latest I can see.

The JAXB2 guys think it is likely to be something to do with the way
surefire is loading classes. Looking at surefire I suspect this could be the
case as it is using a custom isolated classloader which then loads the
javax.xml namespace a second time (hence the error).

The percise error is

java.lang.LinkageError: loader constraints violated when linking
javax/xml/namespace/QName class
    at com.sun.xml.bind.v2.model.impl.RuntimeBuiltinLeafInfoImpl.<clinit>(
RuntimeBuiltinLeafInfoImpl.java:779)
    at com.sun.xml.bind.v2.model.impl.RuntimeTypeInfoSetImpl.<init>(
RuntimeTypeInfoSetImpl.java:25)

I am going to investigate - but any hints would be appreciated.

Ben