Lee,

Have you tried using the exclusions that are available within the
dependency declarations?

If this webservices.jar is needed in a project (say project-a) which
is included within an ear (say ear-project), you would define the
following dependency within the ear-project pom:

    <dependency>
      <groupId>whatever</groupId>
      <artifactId>project-a</artifactId>
      <version>1.0</version>
      <scope>compile</scope>
      <exclusions>
        <exclusion>
          <groupId>whatever</groupId>
          <artifactId>webservices</artifactId>
        </exclusion>
      </exclusions>
    </dependency>

With this approach, you could use a compile scoped dependency but not
have it included in the ear.

Hope that helps,

David