The plugin looks interesting but its not quite what I need. Although
the assemble plugin allows to create custom source distributions with
gathered libs I dont get why I should do this since my project *is*
actually the source ;)

What I like to do is to ship my maven project as it is including a
repository with all dependencies (which includes non-public jars or
patched jars). So even when the sky is falling and the last public
repo is gone, I can be sure my project compiles fine and I'm further
able to distribute it to others. Is there any standard way how this
could be done with maven? I'm aware that this possibly goes against
the whole 'no binaries in cvs' idea but I really wonder why I have to
setup my own remote repo and - even worse - why everyone else who
likes to work on the sources will have as well, just to keep some
control over artifacts.