Hi maven-users!

I've got a m2 project with several levels of sub-modules, held together by a
main pom of packaging type "pom". In each sub-module there is a <parent> entry
pointing to the module above, including the <relativePath> tag pointing to
"../" .

I don't quite understand the use of the <relativePath> tag. If I build the
whole project, everything works fine, obviously because I'm starting the
reactor from the top. If I try to build only sub-module X maven complains that
it can't get the poms for the other sub-modules X depends on. Okay, now I could
solve that if I ran mvn install on all sub-modules X needs. But what use is the
<relativePath> tag then? Wouldn't it be nicer if maven saw that there is a
parent module and that the other sub-modules X needs are not so far away?

Maybe I look at this from the wrong direction and should get used to walk up
some directories to start a reactor build. But I come back to my initial
question: why is there a <relativePath> tag if maven doesn't look at it and
just looks at the (local and remote) repos?

Christoph Grothaus