I had the same problem. However, increasing the memory via MAVEN_OPTS
didn't help at all. Then I tried setting the findbugs plugin variable
maven.findbugs.jvmargs=-Xmx512m but that didn't help either.
In the end I upgraded from plugin version 1.0 to version 1.1 and the out
of memory error disappeared. So try that.

Leander