On 2/14/06, Mike Lantink <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I am trying to find a way to specify the version of the master POM that will
> be used in sub project <parent> references in only one location such as a
> property in the master POM. This does not seem to resolve out....Is there
> another way rather than hardcoding a version in all the sub project parent
> references ?

I tried to achieve the same thing, and posted a question here on it,
but didn't generate any answers:
http://www.nabble.com/Property-variable-not-interpolated-in-%3Cparent%3E-element-when-POM-is-installed-t1105519.html#a2888441

I think this would be very useful thing to have, particularly when you
have a large multiproject build.  I was actually able to get it work
with a property defined in the root POM, when the parent POM and the
POM that was the start of my multiproject build was one and the same.
However, when my JARs/POMs were installed in the repo (local or
remote), the variable in the <parent> was not expanded (becomes a
problem when transitive dependencies are calculated for the end-user
project where this JAR is a dependency).  This is true of other
variables in the POM, but for the <parent> declaration it becomes a
"chicken and egg"  issue:  you can't get the property value denoting
the POM version without getting the POM itself.  But, I'd think you
should be able to specify a "-Dxxx=yyyy" value for the property on the
command line, or settings.xml, but it didn't seem to work.

I  wish an exception was made for the <parent> declaration in the
installed POM, so that a variable declaration in the <version> tag was
actually in interpolated/expanded form when it was installed in the
repo.

BTW, I was able to use properties to refer to dependencies, and that
in itself will cut down a lot on the tedium when we go from
SNAPSHOT-to-release-to-SNAPSHOT.  If you care to look at it, the root
POM and a sample child POM are:

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/excalibur/trunk/pom.xml?rev=377265
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/excalibur/trunk/framework/impl/pom.xml?rev=377209

Shash