Maven 2 is great and stable for the basic things.

If you wanna do exotic things you might have to resort to the antrun plugin (for purposes like the maven 1 maven.xml).

The eclipse plugin in maven 2 work well to generate configuration.
The idea plugin in maven 2 works well if you use the snapshot instead of the latest release.
The maven 2 plugin in Eclipse seems broken.
The maven 2 plugin in NetBeans looks very nice.

So unless you're using NetBeans, get comfortable with opening your command shell to generate a new IDE configuration every time you add a new library.

If you want to generate a multiproject site, also use the snapshot of the site plugin.