>From what I understand you want to use the fresh version of some
components that are still in development, what is usually called a
night build or a snapshot. You should declare their version as
1.0-SNAPSHOT or something like that. Then you just need to setup an
enterprise snapshot repository wich always give you the lastest
snapshot of your artefacts.

When the components actually go throught a new release, I suggest you
to update the dependencies version manually when new versions come out
so you can test if everything still work ok.

On 2/20/06, Dave Hoffer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Being new to maven I have so basic questions regarding best practices in
> maven.  Specifically, I want to know what the recommended practice is in
> configuring projects that have dependencies which is all but the most
> basic of applications.  In our company we develop applications that are
> comprised of several components that we create.
>
> As I understand maven, all artifacts have the version in the jar name.
> This is great in one sense as it lets your project(s) refer to the
> specific jar version that you want.  However, it causes problems also
> because ideally we want our applications to work with the 'latest'
> version of all of our components.  It seems the default maven behavior
> would encourage our applications and components to be created to
> something other than the 'latest' version.
>
> I would like to setup our IntelliJ projects and our continuous
> integration build system to generally use the 'latest' version of
> components so that we attempt to minimize code that is written to old
> components.
>
> How can this be accomplished in maven2?  What are the best practices?
>
> Thanks!
>
> -dh

Alexandre Poitras
Québec, Canada