Maybe it can be made it more generic to also include the buildDate?
All these properties should be namespaced I believe, like
${build-helper.buildDate} ${build-helper.buildNumber} etc

The buildDate might depend on a mojo property buildDateFormat,
defaulted to "YYYY MM dd hh:mm"

--
With kind regards,
Geoffrey De Smet

Julian Wood wrote:
We talked about this on mojo-dev, in the context of getting build numbers. I wrote a plugin to do this, and you can look at it here.

http://commons.ucalgary.ca/projects/maven-buildnumber-plugin/

It just gets the most current revision number from svn and lets you access it in your pom with ${$buildNumber}

It uses some snapshot dependencies, so hopefully I've got that sorted out in the pom, but otherwise you'll need to build and install scm from svn.