On Fri, 2006-03-10 at 16:30 -0600, Wayne Fay wrote:
> I have a solution... Everyone should just use JDK 1.5. ;-)
>
> PS Sanjay, you can find out what version a given class was compiled if
> you look at the unsigned short integers starting at byte offset 4,
> right after 0xCAFEBABE in every class file. See this Javaworld article
> for more details, page 2:
> http://www.javaworld.com/javaqa/2003-05/02-qa-0523-version.html

An easier way to find the classfile version is to run

  javap -classpath {jarfile} -verbose {classname}

eg
  javap -verbose java.lang.String

For javap v1.4 or later the output includes:
  minor version: 0
  major version: 49

These versions mean this particular String can only be run with java 1.5
or later. I did see an official document somewhere that listed the
actual versions (the vm spec?) but this doc has enough info:
http://alumnus.caltech.edu/~leif/opensource/bcver/BcVerApp.html

Cheers,

Simon