Thanks for the reply.

I'm afraid I still can't get this to work.

The page you refer to gives instructions for using a remote (internal) repository from within an existing project, but not when creating a new project from an archetype.

As you say, it looks as though I need to add something to my (user or global) settings.xml, as desribed in http://maven.apache.org/guides/ mini/guide-multiple-repositories.html .

So, I put the following into my ~/.m2/settings.xml:

<settings>
  <profiles>
    <profile>
      <id>devt-profile</id>
      <repositories>
        <repository>
          <id>internal-rep</id>
          <name>Internal Repository</name>
          <url>file:///usr/local/mvnrep</url>
        </repository>
      </repositories>
    </profile>
  </profiles>
  <activeProfiles>
    <activeProfile>devt-profile</activeProfile>
  </activeProfiles>
</settings>

When I run 'mvn archetype:create ...' or 'mvn -Pdevt-profile ...' it attempts to download the archetype from http://repo1.maven.org/ maven2, and appears to have no knowledge of the repository specified above.

PLEASE COULD SOMEBODY CHECK THAT THIS DOES IN FACT WORK for maven 2.0.2, making sure that they are not in fact downloading the archetype from their local repository.

Thanks,

Rob