"Wayne Fay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 10-03-2006 18:00:22:

> Easiest answer is to move to Subversion. There are tools to facilitate
> this so you can save your history out of CVS.

easier said than done here I am afraid.  certainly that's what I have done
for all of my personal and freelance projects, but in here at the EPO we
face considerable technological inertia.  getting permission to begin to
migrate projects from ant builds to maven 2 was a huge effort here.  if i
was the supreme executive dark lord of development i'd have replaced our
lotus notes based bug tracker with jira, cvs with svn and cruise-control
with continuum too.  they are battles i'll not win here as such
wide-ranging changes affect many hundreds of developers across many
departments and I am a but a mere contractor.

Hell it took some doing just to get an english language keyboard instead
of the standard swiss-german one they issue you with here.  Even now I
can't properly enter single or double quotes and have to copy and paste
should I need one.  In fact when I aksed the help-desk people about it
they just laughed and told me the single quote key has been remapped as so
many of our staff have characters like 'é' or 'ü' in their names.  (and
they wonder why i prefer to work on my mac!)

as an old boss of mine used to say "politiics is the art of the possible."

cheers

dave