I am still trying to get my head around the concept of user profiles (using Maven2). Here is what I do in Ant:

1. Let's say we have a project called "leonardo".

2. To work with my Ant process the user is required to have a directory called $HOME/.leonardorc and an environment variable called $LEONARDO_EXT that contains his current configurational profile.

3. $HOME/.leonardorc contains customer properties files. Let's say:
db.properties.${LEONARDO_EXT}, c3p0.properties.${LEONARDO_EXT}, tomcat.properties.${LEONARDO_EXT}. They all contain configurational info specific to that user's current profile (set by LEONARD_EXT).

4. The moment a user tries to do something (build, deploy, whatever). Some of those files will be copied to the "right" place in the project repository, and some will be directly referenced in the Ant build script. Of course, the extension of ${LEONARDO_EXT} will be removed upon copy.

I'd really appreciate if somebody could explain to me how to achieve the same flexibility with Maven. Note: the above-mentioned property files have to be the entities that specify the user configuration.

Thanks a lot beforehand!

Serge