If you aren't great with SVN, and you are running Windows, you should
download TortoiseSVN.

It gives you a nice little GUI interface to SVN. And it makes things
like generating unified-diffs (patches) trivial with a couple of mouse
clicks. (Even has a "Create Patch" option in the pop-up menu.)

So you should write your code, get a nice patch with good code
commenting etc as necessary, and then create a new JIRA issue in the
Maven-Idea-Plugin section:
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MPIDEA

And attach your patch etc.

Wayne