> Running Maven from the command line is the ONE TRUE TEST

Agreed :) but...
in our environment cruise control does it, so ONE TRUE TEST is fired
many times a day and on nightly build.

> Also not everyone likes the same IDE. We have people using Eclipse

Sure, but everyone likse IDE that speeds the development. So no matter
what you use (IDEA, eclipse, ...) it is recommended to take full
advantage of plugins :)

> It also means we are not tied to one IDE (though I think everyone here uses
> Eclipse)

We neither. We don't allow to commit IDE-specific files to SCM; you
can create eclipse config from POM. But you are free to use any plugin
you want and I deeply believe that feasibilty of firing maven from IDE
is a time-saving solution