Just a tiny comment...

> > An execution is always an additional binding to the lifecycle, so it
> > doubles up when it is already bound through the presets for the
> > packaging. The only way to configure the presets is through the
> > configuration element in the plugin node itself (outside of
> > executions). Unfortunately, you only get one per plugin.
>
> The term "plugin node" doesn't really help me here. This is kind of
> what I was getting at.

He is simply refering to the pom.xml <plugin> "xml node" itself. It
contains a single <configuration> element. You may schedule several
<execution> elements for a given plugin, but only one <configuration>
that applies across all executions of that plugin.

A faked example below:

<plugin>
<groupId>blah</groupId>
<artifactId>xyz</artifactId>