I'm guessing this is a bug with Maven2 that can't deal with a user's
user.home being like this

user.home=\\FILESERVER\Users\<mylogin>

As I have confirmed there is nothing wrong with my settings.xml, because if
I run with the -Dorg.apache.maven.user-settings e.g.

mvn projecthelp:active-profiles -Dorg.apache.maven.user-settings="C:\Documents
and Settings\<myLoginId>\.m2\settings.xml"

all works fine.
So I'm guessing the \\FILESERVER path is giving Maven2 problems ?

QUESTION: How can I work around this ? e.g. Can I set the -
Dorg.apache.maven.user-settings  as a permanent setting somehow, but
obviously it will vary per developer. Can it be set in conf/settings.xml ?