The re-install appears to have fixed the issue.  Looking at the contents of
C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_06, there appear to be more files in there
then under the previous install.  The first install must have been
incomplete.

I guess, if all else fails, re-install...

Ian

It's better to be hated for who you are
than loved for who you are not

Ian D. Stewart
Phone: (614) 244-2564
Pager: (888) 260-0078

                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                      chase.com                To:       "Maven Users List"
<users@maven.apache.org>
                                               cc:
                      03/21/2006 09:43         Subject:  Re: mvn compile fails
on Windows w/ JDK 1.5.0_06
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      "Maven Users
                      List"

Sounds like it may be something specific to my installation then.  Not
quite the answer I was hoping for, but at least it's a start.

I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling JDK 1.5.0_06 and see if that gets me
anywhere.

Ian

It's better to be hated for who you are
than loved for who you are not

Ian D. Stewart
Phone: (614) 244-2564
Pager: (888) 260-0078

                      "Alexandre

                      Poitras"                  To:       "Maven Users
List" <users@maven.apache.org>
                      <alexandre.poitras        cc:

                      @gmail.com>               Subject:  Re: mvn compile
fails on Windows w/ JDK 1.5.0_06

                      03/21/2006 08:56

                      AM

                      Please respond to

                      "Maven Users List"

I have never seen this problem and I have both a jdk and a jre installed.

> Dear List,
>
> I recently upgraded my JDK from 1.5.0_04 to 1.5.0_06.  Now when I run
>
>       mvn compile
>
> I get the following error:
>
> Unable to locate the Javac Compiler in:
>   C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\..\lib\tools.jar
> Please ensure you are using JDK 1.4 or above and
> not a JRE (the com.sun.tools.javac.Main class is required).
> In most cases you can change the location of your Java
> installation by setting the JAVA_HOME environment variable.
>
> Note that JAVA_HOME is set to C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_06.
>
> There appears to be a built-in assumption somewhere within
> maven-compiler-plugin that ${java.home} == ${jre.home}\..  While this was
> true under jdk1.5.0_04, it is not the case with jdk1.5.0_06 (The JDK is
> installed under C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_06, while the JRE is
> installed under C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06).  I've tried tracking
> down the place in the code where this assumption is made, so that I could
> submit a patch, and got as far as
> org.codehaus.plexus.compiler.manager.CompilerManager, but I haven't been
> able to track down the location of the Plexus SVN repository to research
> further.
>
> Before I post a bug report, has any body else encountered this problem,
and
> is there a patch and/or work around available?
>

> Thanks,
> Ian
>
> It's better to be hated for who you are
> than loved for who you are not
>
> Ian D. Stewart
> Appl Dev Analyst-Advisory, DCS Automation
> JPMorganChase Global Technology Infrastructure
> Phone: (614) 244-2564
> Pager: (888) 260-0078

Alexandre Poitras
Québec, Canada