As far as I'm aware, this is the only current solution. Its really not
that painful, how often are you adding modules to your projects?

This has been discussed several times on the user list. IIRC no one
has mentioned another solution.

Of course any user is welcome to contribute patches that add this
functionality to the site plugins. Or file a JIRA report (if it hasn't
already been filed) and get other users to vote on it, and then wait
for someone else to write the code.

Wayne