Hi there Gerard,

Yes the same result can be achived within Maven.  I have found the best way
to work with this would be to setup a multi project structure.

my-root-proj
-pom.xml
-my-ear-proj
--standard folder structure
--pom.xml, (EAR output)
-my-web-proj
--standard folder structure
--pom.xml, (WAR output)
-my-core-proj
--standard folder structure
--pom.xml, (JAR output)

The following can be used to try and get an understanding multi project
setup and building WAR and EAR deployment files.

http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-webapp.html
http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-ide-eclipse.html
http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-the-standard-directory-layout.html
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-ear-plugin/

I have included the link to the standard structure layout because you will
then be able to see what is similar in you ANT build files/existing project
structures.

Hope this helps you to get started.
Trent