> Having developed a new archetype for developers to use internally to build
> adaptors, I am also providing them with a pre-configured maven-2.0.2
> installation that contains a profile (activated by default - see below
> section from
> settings.xml) which points to our internal remote repositories.
> Note that when users start to build these adaptors, they have no project
> (and therefore no pom.xml), hence to create an instance of the archetype,
> maven needs to download the archetype from our internal remote repositories

I think you're running into this problem:

* http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/ARCHETYPE-1
*
http://www.nabble.com/How-to-install-use-a-third-party-archetype--t1024045.html

Quoting Jason, "The archetype plugin doesn't look at settings.xml. It
only looks in your POM but if you don't have a POM yet it's sort of
hard :-)"

There is a new attribute, -DremoteRepositories, but it isn't in a
released version of archetype yet.  Once that's out, (or if you're
comfortable building it from source,) you can point the archetype
plugin at the remote repository containing  your custom archetype, and
it should work.

HTH,
--
Wendy