I'm converting a project to maven 2.  Some dependencies do not exist in
ibiblio, so I've 'installed' these into my local repository.

I'm unhappy because every time I perform a run, there is a significant
delay (sometimes) when maven tries to download these non-existent
artifacts.  I get these messages:
Downloading: http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/......./...pom

How can I prevent maven's attempt to download these non-existent
artifacts?   I'm most interested in eliminating the delay.

I know I can run with the 'offline' option.   This is OK as long as I'm
sure all existing artifacts that are already downloaded into my cache.
So I can do this until I build on a system with no local cache of add a
new dependency to my projects, at which time the delay is experienced
due to these non-existent artifacts.

Thanks,
John