mvn -U i believe should force a check for updates. but depending on
how your repositories are configured, you might not get all available
updates (ie snapshots) esp if Central/ibiblio for some reason does not
have the most recent version of a particular dependency ie its out of
sync with another Apache repo etc.

Wayne