[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 3:48 PM:

> As far as I know, the timezone element is purely
> informational, so there is
> no need to specify when a particular location observes
> Daylight Savings
> Time.  However, we do have a valid usecase for including the
> fact that a
> particular timezone does observe Daylight Savings Time.
>
> I have no problem with supporting something like
>
> <timezone>
>       <name>Europe/Berlin</name>
> </timezone>
>
> or even
>
> <timezone id="Europe/Berlin"/>
>
> However, I do not understand the aversion to allowing others
> to specify the
> offset and useDaylight elements if they bring value.  The alternative
> would be to force everyone to memorize the proper ID for each
> location, and the
> offset and Daylight Savings Times observations for each.
> Especially for
> open source projects, which may have developers and/or
> contributors from
> dozens of different locations, this is a non-trivial effort
> and worse, IMO,
> then the current offset-based approach.

Well, this info is part of the JRE. See $JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/zi. So I don't get
the point, why anyone should "memorize the proper [...] Daylight Savings Times
observations for each". In Unix you select your system's TZ by copying the
proper ZI file from /usr/share/zoneinfo into /etc/localtime (at least this is
what the tools do under the hood) and in Windows you get a list of countries to
seleft of. What means daylight saving? UK is returning from GMT-1 to normal
time (GMT in summer) while rest of Europe leaves standard time (GMT+1) for
summer switching to GMT+2. So why should we modify the POM structure to add 3
elements, when you can have all of it with the current structure? The current
values +/-n is just GMT+/-n and anything else could be mapped to the named zone
info IDs.

- Jörg