I believe the 2.0.4 release is "strictly" to address regression(s) from 2.0.2...

Did you open a JIRA issue about this problem, and assign "affects
2.0.3", and verify that it was a regression from 2.0.2? Or just send
emails about the issue? And are you sure this is a Maven (core) issue
and not just a problem with the "site" plugin?

I'd suggest you test the 2.0.4 RC and find out if your issue is
resolved. If not, and if site:site works for you in 2.0.2 with the
same pom and plugins, then you should open a JIRA issue.

Wayne