Yep,

We are using it like that in m1 (no profiles there, so no other choice).
When doing the conversion to m2, I created a "build project" with
build-base, build-jar, build-war, build-dll, ... all using pom packaging.
The conversion is still going on, but that is a different story :)
You don't need to use the relative reference by the way. In fact, I don't
understand why they still support that. I like the idea of "releasing" your
pom as a version better and then just define the parent using the normal
group, artifact and version things. That way, you are independent of the
location of those pom relative to your own project.

good luck,

Wim