I think the problem is that some of these Maven poms are defining new
Repos which are added to the Repos list when they are added as
dependencies.

maven-help-plugin-2.0 has none defined
but it specifies maven-plugin-parent-2.0 as a dependency which specifies

  <repositories>
    <repository>
      <id>snapshots</id>
      <name>Maven Central Development Repository</name>
      <url>http://snapshots.maven.codehaus.org/maven2</url>
      <releases>
        <enabled>false</enabled>
      </releases>
    </repository>
  </repositories>
  <pluginRepositories>
    <pluginRepository>
      <id>snapshots</id>
      <name>Maven Central Plugins Development Repository</name>
      <url>http://snapshots.maven.codehaus.org/maven2</url>
      <releases>
        <enabled>false</enabled>
      </releases>
    </pluginRepository>
  </pluginRepositories>

See here:
http://www.ibiblio.org/maven2/org/apache/maven/plugins/maven-plugin-parent/2.0/maven-plugin-parent-2.0.pom

And then it has a bunch of other dependencies, which all have their
own poms and dependencies etc... So in all likelihood, somewhere in
that chain, I'm guessing that you are getting several new Repos and
PluginRepos added to your list.

This is certainly a bug in those poms. We've seen this before and I
believe it was agreed that it was not proper for hosted poms to
add/change Repos on the user out of the blue. It would be great if
there was an easy code solution to this problem, but I haven't looked
into it, and at the time the fix was to simply repair that one
specific pom.

So if we can find all the poms like this on Central and open a bunch
of MEV Jira bugs, Carlos will love us (not), but it should get rid of
your problems, EJ.

Wayne