But it doesn't do what one really wishes if one is using the M2Eclipse
plugin in eclipse, which is to get the dependencies from the POM file.

A fairly standard .classpath file using the M2Eclipse plugin would look
something like:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<classpath>
   <classpathentry kind="src" path="src/main/java"/>
   <classpathentry kind="src" path="src/main/resources"/>
   <classpathentry output="target/test-classes" kind="src"
                   path="src/test/java"/>
   <classpathentry output="target/test-classes" kind="src"
                   path="src/test/resources"/>
   <classpathentry kind="con"
             path="org.eclipse.jdt.launching.JRE_CONTAINER"/>
   <classpathentry kind="con"
      path="org.maven.ide.eclipse.MAVEN2_CLASSPATH_CONTAINER"/>
   <classpathentry kind="output" path="target/classes"/>
</classpath>

See the difference? I find the eclipse plugin in Maven to be irrelevant,
unless I'm distributing the project to another institution.

-K

--
Kathryn Huxtable
Middleware Architect