Hi,
With maven2 there isn'  t maven.xml anymore.
you configure connexion with  ${user.home}/.m2/settings.xml.(by default)
You have to read how to use of each plugins
 and to configure them and to perform task .
You set parameters listed for plugin goals  under <configuration> tag
under <plugin> tag as example below.
Please read http://maven.apache.org/plugins/index.html
and follow links for plugin listed. You have to know plugin name is
maven-THEPLUGIN-plugin.
Additionally you can find others plugins  in http://mojo.codehaus.org/ .
Here is an example of use of maven-war-plugin for my project which is
not maven layout conform. In fact it is an eclipse web dynamic
project.
<plugins>
<plugin>
            <version>2.0-beta-2</version>
            <configuration>
              <warSourceDirectory>Myproject/WebContent</warSourceDirectory>
              <webXml>Myproject/WebContent/WEB-INF/web.xml</webXml>
              <excludes>**/context.xml</excludes>
            </configuration>
          </plugin>
        </plugins>