I think I'm done now. I don't quite understand some of the quirks of maven2
with maven-proxy but in time I guess I'll learn them. After updating the
HTTPClient to work through our HTTP proxy I set my settings.xml to use
maven-proxy for both artifacts and plugins. I started getting the following
error again:
 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-resources-plugin' does not exist or no valid
version could be found
I couldn't understand this one because it looked like the proxy was getting no
activity. I fumbled a bit then decided to delete the maven-resources-plugin
from my repository. Once I did that, then things started working again. I
could've sworn I had a similar problem a while ago and took the same steps to
resolve it. It seems like once the maven-resources-plugin is downloaded from
a the official repository you can't get maven to use the local repo without
deleting it and having it re-fetched. In hind-site I probably could've used
the -U switch or something to force it to download again.anyhow I think all
is good now. Thank you everybody for your help!