It might not be a Maven issue.  Remember, the native Z/OS encoding is
Ebcdic, not Ascii/UTF-8 like most Unixes/Windows servers.

On second thought, it could be a Maven issue, I'm not sure how it uses the
SAX parser to parse the various XML files at runtime.

Basically, we traditionally see this at the top of a self-contained XML
file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>

But this usually only works on Z/os if you FTP the XML file in binary mode
from a Windows host for example.  We support z/os for our clients and our
configuration files are in XML.  So when we want to be able to edit the
files from the Z/os console, we FTP them in Ascii/Text mode (which converts
them to EBCDIC), then we open them up in a text editor and change the first
line to something like:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="IBM-1047" ?>

Note: I don't have a sample file handy for reference, I think it's IBM-1047
(Ebcdic) but I could be wrong.

This is just a hunch.  I think someone familar with the inner workings of
Maven's XML parsing system would be able to say whether or not Maven is
robust enough to work around this.

HTH
Dave