Is there any way to deprecate a dependency so that projects using this
dependency break the build?

If project a relies on hibernate 3.0 and the rest of the projects in a
working set have moved up to hibernate 3.1, is there any way to
specify that v3.0 is no longer allowed and therefore cause the build
to break?

It seems that this should be a feature of Continuum since I do not see
how independent maven projects can know if their dependencies are
disallowed by the continuous integration testing. I just wanted to run
this by the Maven group for ideas.