Just to add a little bit of info on this, when you specify a plugin in
your pom, you do it in the <build> section. It has one main purpose -
configuring the plugin use. You don't need to specify every plugins
you use if you use the default configuration values, Maven 2 is able
to figure it out by itself. So don't worry about it for the moment.
People are a bit scared at first because Maven 2 is pretty smart and
rely on the "Convention over configuration" principle. Have fun!