This is pretty much the solution we last discussed for inclusion in Maven 2.1.

- Brett

On 19/05/06, Daniel Kulp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Friday 19 May 2006 17:23, Dennis Lundberg wrote:
> > Personally I strongly believe in once an artifact has been released
> > -- with or without errors in the artifacts POM -- it should be left
> > in the state it's in. If a change is required due to a malformed POM,
> > a missing groupId, non-existing parent, missing dependency, wrong
> > scope of a dependency or the alike, it should be left in the state it
> > is in. If an update is required a new version should be released.
>
> For projects that use Maven for building and releasing your idea is
> good. But for projects that does not have a POM of their own this
> doesn't work. Most of the issues in MEV are for projects without POMs.
> The POMs that get uploaded to these issues are often not made by the
> people *responsible* for the project but by people *using* the project.
> Because of this errors do occur in these POMs more often than one would
> like.

Right.  But if an error is detected in a pom, why does the pom have to be
updated.    For example, if there is a:

foo/1.0/foo-1.0.pom

why can't we do something like Gentoo Linux and leave that alone and then
add a:
foo/1.0-R2/foo-1.0-R2.pom

It's stilll "foo 1.0 as release by the foo developers", but its the R2
"update" as far as the maven repository is concerned.   If the foo
developers produce a 1.0.1, fine.   We create a:
foo/1.0.1/foo-1.0.1.pom

Thus, existing apps and such that depend on the broken behavior are OK and
others can migrate to the "correct" poms as needed.

Anyway, I COMPLETELY agree that stuff put up on ibiblio as a release,
correct or broken, should stay that way.

--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer

Apache Maven - http://maven.apache.org