Sorry, but could you help me sort this out first? I obviously have
something wrong with my repository declarations. I cannot get mvn to
download 2.2-SNAPSHOT. It prefers 2.0.

Where is 2.2-SNAPSHOT meant to be online? Or should I download it and
install it myself?

I tried it with this repository config as well as with none:

  <repositories>
    <repository>
      <id>Maven snapshots</id>
      <url>http://snapshots.maven.codehaus.org/maven2</url>
      <snapshots>
        <enabled>true</enabled>
      </snapshots>
      <releases>
        <enabled>false</enabled>
      </releases>
    </repository>
    <repository>
      <releases>
        <enabled>true</enabled>
      </releases>
      <snapshots>
        <enabled>false</enabled>
      </snapshots>
      <id>central</id>
      <name>Maven Repository Switchboard</name>
      <layout>default</layout>
      <url>http://repo1.maven.org/maven2</url>
    </repository>
  </repositories>

The <pluginRepositories> node looks the same.