Chas,

For what its worth, a couple of months ago I posted similar sentiments, and so I second your thoughts here. I didn't really go through a list of the issues I faced -- I focussed primarily on the documentation. The Megere documentation is a significant improvement, though I also recognize the curiousity of it seemingly existing separate from the project documentation.

I am using Maven 2 successfully, with maven-proxy in place, and it works fairly well, but I do dread issues that come up in our work that require variations to pom.xml configuration, as there's never any telling how long it will take to resolve an issue.

I appreciate you being brave enough to post your thoughts. I welcome them, and share your sentiments. But I've kind of backed off on any real discussion of this, as I realize that not everyone grasps or agrees with the irony of the requirement to dig into source code to merely use an OSS library. Once you cross that threshold and get involved directly with source code, it turns a major advantage of OSS (time/licensing cost) into merely a shell-game, where the development cost is shifted from coding and having complete architectural control to reading someone else's code and having no architectural control. I just think its a pity, because Maven is obviously the product of a lot of hard work, and such work shouldn't be marginalized. Without going into a diatribe here, it seems that everyone would tend to agree with the notion of "interface-based programming", the general tenant being that integration points in applications be defined via well-defined, clean interfaces. However, it seems that this principle is completely ignored from a customer/product standpoint -- the "interface" in this relationship is the clear definition of the use of the product, so leaving this interface unattended to basically obfuscates great functionality behind a convoluted interface.

Its perfectly fine if others see it differently -- I'd guess most probably do. Its just as I reflect on the curve incurred to convert to maven, it was more steep and unexpected than originally thought, not because of complexity, but more because of the hunt for answers, and subsequent trial and error And additionally, I'm getting similar feedback from others I know who are attempting to use Maven.

But again, the Megere book, though I haven't been able to read it all yet, it looks to be a really good resource.

Brad

Chas Douglass wrote:

I really liked the idea of Maven2 when I heard about it, and when a fellow developer used it successfully to build a small library for me, I thought it was time to jump in.

Three weeks later I have managed to accomplish very little on my project, and I've converted four simple Ant build files into 7 Maven pom.xml's that, by and large, don't work.

THE IMPLEMENTATION PROBLEMS
To advertise Maven 2 as "stable" is, I believe, a disservice to developers. In my experience with it, "early beta" would be a kind description.

After struggling for the first week with broken links and dead-ends on the web pages, I subscribed to the users list and found out there is a "secret" book that documents much of Maven (ok, it's not really secret, but should I really have to subscribe to a mailing list to find out there is more documentation?).

Of course, the secret book also documents features that aren't released yet (wagon is what bit me). Perhaps that's why it's secret.

So now I'm using a "stable" product (incorporating several unreleased and poorly documented snapshots) and what happens? New releases of a number of modules come out and everything breaks! Have I specified a release where I shouldn't have? Have I NOT specified a release where I SHOULD have? Based on the limited traffic of the problem on the user's list, I can only conclude that most people that use Maven are building the plugins/modules and that very few people actually use it to build applications.

THE DESIGN PROBLEMS
But my real beef comes to design decisions that I think needs some serious consideration.

            MAVEN HIDES TOO MUCH.

It really is nice advertising to say "Look! This 12 line pom.xml builds this huge project". But that's only if you happen to want to do EXACTLY that ONE thing (which seems to be: build a Maven plugin). The real world is more complicated. And as soon as I want to get more complicated, Maven obliges me by getting WAY more complicated. Most of this complication is due to, I believe, hiding too much from me.

Why is it that I'm expected, as a developer, to be able to download and compile snapshots of plugins that aren't released yet (the jnlp plugin), but I'm not expected to understand a FULL LIFE CYCLE build file?

You have this wonderful archetype mechanism, why don't you use it to make a pom.xml that actually includes information for everything it does? This would be self-documenting to developers. Isn't the target audience developers?

I believe Maven is hiding the actual build structure, and that that is a bad thing.

I have used a number of open source projects where the configuration file is used to document the product! It is MUCH more enlightening to see a comment with a commented-out section than, well, nothing.

An example: I use Java 1.5. The Maven default is 1.4. Can I simply search for "1.4" in the pom.xml and change it to "1.5". Nooooo. I have to research which plugin actually sets this value, how it sets this value, and add 9 lines to my pom.xml (assuming I did not yet have any plugins configuration).

THE CENTRAL REPOSITORY PROBLEM
I think the second major design problem is the central repository. As evidenced by the hardware failure at codehaus.org, this is a single-point-of-failure that is simply unacceptable in real world build situations.

Not only does it represent a single-point-of-failure, it's not frozen. I could never see my company using Maven unless we set up our own version of the repository, and probably only if we used it exclusively, since we require complete build reproducibility. Relying on an external organization to not make "secret" updates (as has been recently discussed) is simply unacceptable. I haven't tried to set up a "central" repository, but from scanning messages on the user's list, it sounds somewhat less than well defined.

Personally (for open-source projects), I can probably use it, but there is going to be a nagging suspicion when something breaks.

So, for small users it represents a roadblock when the repository is unavailable, and for large users it represents a reproducibility problem.

CONCLUSION:
I think Maven is just "not ready for prime time". I really want to like it. I think there are some great ideas, and clearly some really smart people working on it.

I hope this rant can be taken constructively. I want projects like this to succeed, I really do.

And, please, I understand I'm one person. This is MY view of attempting to use Maven to build MY projects. Perhaps I'm just not the target audience. Perhaps I'm just out in left field. Perhaps I've just missed the point completely.

Chas Douglass